Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fried Noodles with spicy peanut sate and prawns

I dropped my son off at Vancouver Airport to catch a flight to Bangkok this morning.  I was very excited for him and I could tell he was a little apprehensive, as well as excited.  When I was around the same age I took a similar flight on my own from London to Singapore, also to spend some time alone with my Father. I remember what an eye opening experience that was and I am glad that he is getting a similar opportunity.  So later that day when looking for inspiration for dinner Connie suggested that we cook Thai food. After checking through some books we came up with a mostly Vietnamese menu, but they are fairly close aren't they?


This recipe is adapted from a book that I own called  Vietnamese Food Cooking by Ghillie-Basan which has some wonderful authentic recipes with great step by step photographs. I used olive oil, because that is what I use for everything, but the recipe called for vegetable or peanut oil.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 lbs of large raw shrimp/prawns
8oz dried rice stick soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
1 cup of bean sprouts (we forgot to put these in)
2 tsp on nuc mam (fish sauce)
1 small bunch each of fresh basil and mint leaves

For the sate
1 serrano chili chopped
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons of good curry powder
1/2 cup of roasted peanuts.





To make the sate put all the ingredients except for the oil in to a small food processor and wizz up until finely chopped.


Add the oil to a small pan and pour on the peanut mixture.  Cook this stirring often until the garlic and curry powder are giving off a wonderful fragrance.


This took about 5 minutes on a medium heat, then set aside.

Stir fry the prawns in a little oil until just cooked through, this only took a couple of minutes.


Remove from the wok and add some oil in which to stir fry the noodles.  Drain the noodles and add to the hot oil in the wok along with 1 tablespoon of the peanut sate.


Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender, then add back the prawns and stir to combine along with the herbs and fish sauce. Turn out on to a serving platter.


We sprinkled on a little more of the sate and herbs to garnish.  This dish was absolutely delicious and easy to make.  The hardest part was deveining and peeling the prawns.  The original recipe was for using beef to stir fry, but they said that you could use pork, shrimp or chicken.  I would definitely do this again, especially as I have some of the delicious peanut sate left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment