Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sweet potato fries with spicy lime salt

I saw this idea somewhere in the last week and I am afraid I cannot remember where, so I am unable to credit the originator.  But when I found I was having someone over who is unable to eat potatoes, but can eat sweet potatoes I decided to try this out.  The idea of lime and hot pepper in with the salt on with the sweetness of the yams really appealed to me.


For these I used the yellow sweet potatoes instead of the orange ones, which one is called yam?  I am not really sure but it seems to be interchangeable.



I cut the potato in to sticks simulating french fries and tossed in a little olive oil, then laid them out on a parchment lined cookie sheet.




I roasted them in 400 oven for about half an hour turning a couple of times until they were cooked through and browned.

While they were cooking I placed in pestle and mortar the grated rind of one lime and a tablespoon of Malden salt.  This is my favourite salt, it is flaky and not as salty as most salts, but any course sea salt would do.


I ground this so that the salt started to turn green and then added 1 teaspoon of hot pepper flakes and ground those in a little as well.


When the fries were cooked I tossed them in this mixture and served.


I served these with a Thai inspired meal and they went well with the Thai flavours.  This was the first dinner on the Deck, Oh happy day, summer is nearly here, and long evenings sitting outside eating and drinking with friends is really the best part of summer for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment