Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lemon roast chicken

If I have to feed a crowd and I do not have a lot of time or inspiration Lemon roast chicken is my fall back dish.


Nothing could be simpler and is always a crowd pleaser.

On Sunday night there were 8 of us for dinner, so I used two whole chickens cut up, but you could use already cut up chicken pieces, allowing 2 per person.



To feed 8

2 whole chickens cut up
2 lemons cut in quarters
large sprig of rosemary (or 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary)
4 tablespoons of olive oil.

Put the chicken pieces in to a roasting tin skin side up and drizzle the olive oil, salt and pepper over the chicken, tuck in the cut up lemon and rosemary sprigs.



Put the roasting tin in a 350 oven on the top shelf for about 3/4 of an hour until the chicken skin is golden and crispy.


The lemon caramelizes and it changes the flavour of the lemon and really permeates the chicken.  There are quite a lot of juices created in the roasting tin which really keeps the chicken moist. Often I add whole garlic cloves, but this time I did not for some reason, but it still tasted great.  Also for a one dish meal you can throw some potatoes into the roasting tin at the the same time as the chicken and the potatoes pick up the flavour from all the lemony chicken juices. Tonight one of my guests was a vegetarian so I cooked the potatoes separately.




No comments:

Post a Comment